When I was younger, my father constantly cut out articles from Investor’s Business Daily that he found interesting or inspiring, and casually placed them throughout the house where I would stumble upon them. Not wanting to take parental advice, just like any other kid, most of these articles ended up in the circular file cabinet, however, one article-cutout in particular managed to survive to live another day…
In fact, not only did it survive, but it made its way on to my wall where it would receive daily attention. Obviously, this one had to communicate real value.
These words of advice from Investor’s Business Daily (the issue’s from February, 2002) act as simple daily reminders that anyone on a creative path will benefit from. Perhaps they’ll even make it up on your wall…
Investor’s Business Daily has spent years analyzing leaders and successful people in all walks of life. Most have 10 traits that, when combined, can turn dreams into reality.
- How you think is everything: Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
- Decide upon your true dreams and goals: Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
- Take action: Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started. Just do it.
- Never stop learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training and aquire skills.
- Be persistent and work hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
- Learn to analyze the details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
- Focus your time and money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate; Be different: Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
- Deal and communicate with people effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
- Be honest and dependable; Take responsibility: Otherwise, numbers 1-9 won’t matter.
Now that’s some advice to live by! Take it to heart…